Share Escape :)

Saturday, December 6, 2008

December - Father Frank by Paul Burke (He)

This was a light read .... most enjoyable book about a priest that doesn't believe in God. We didn't have too much to discuss, as the meeting was held at a restaurant ....... our final "Christmas dinner" get-together that we have every year. It is always hard to hold a book-discussion in a restaurant but we had so much fun catching up!
Some information on Paul Burke can be found here:
The book is to be made into a new drama for BBC TV, something to look forward to in the future.
There was a folded note inside the book that Ant had with a review by Gaye, someone fron another book club ... so we are transcribing her note here.......
'I have just finished reading "Father Frank" and I loved it - so much so that I could read it all over again!! It was funny, witty, tender and just a pleasure to read. What a fantastic character Frank Dempsey was and to create a "hero" like this, the author Paul Burke did a brilliant job, in my view. From beginning to end this book jogged along, always captivating you and leaving you wanting to read more. All the characters were just "so real" and the author's descriptions of every one of of them was very clever. I would recommend it to anyone. I am sorry to miss this discussion. I am very sure I would recommend it to anyone.'

De: I just thought the title Father Frank really suited the book's style .... very "frank"!It was really entertaining, funny and witty and echoed my views on religion and I guess a lot of other people's as well, and it delivers a message that says you don't have to be religious to be a good person contributing to society or community, and in the end he was true to himself which is the best thing he could have done to improve on his character. It's a story most people can relate to when they leave school, they usually don't really have a clue what they want to do, but know they have to get a degree in something.
Ca enjoyed the book so much that she finished it very quickly over a weekend. She hid from the rest of the household, locking herself in her bedroom so she could read in peace!!

No comments: