- paperback edition - 266 pages - obtained from BetterWorld books
- audio book read by Anne Flosnik (beautifully narrated)
- Also known by the title "The Other Hand"
- Immigration, globalization, Imperialism, Nigeria - Oil
- Two narrators
- An Emotional-charged read
What we discussed:
- The author - background, other books (including Incendiary - Somerset Maugham Award, Shortlisted for 2006 Commonwealth Writer's Prize - also a movie) Also how and why he wrote the book - to expose conditions in British detention centres.
- Book also known as "The Other Hand" - Why two titles? Which is better?
- Book cover - Our thoughts on the cover - some liked it, others didn't
- The central theme - how a split-second decision can change the course of life in an instant
- Other themes - Immigration - refugees, asylum seekers, detention centres - Could such a thing have actually happened? Politics and power-play - Big companies and what happens little villagers - implications - Nigeria and a certain oil company
- Characters - Little Bee - Her name? Was it appropriate? Sarah, Andrew, Charlie (also Batman), Lawrence
- The situation on the jetty and how the book ended